An Orb of Chance is a kind of POE currency item that can be used to upgrade a piece of normal equipment to a random rarity. Orbs of Chance are common currency items that can be dropped by slain monsters, chests, and destructible containers. They also drop from Arcanist’s Strongboxes.
An Orb of Chance can also be purchased from Clarissa for an Orb of Fusing. Orbs of Chance can also be obtained from the following vendor recipes:
Getting recipes can give you multiple Orb of Chance rewards for Items.
Getting Path of Exile Currency and Spending the Orbs
In exchanging the recipes you can get the number of orbs you need;
- 2 x Identified rare items with same name = 1 orb of chance
- 1 x normal, 1 x magic, 1 x rare, 1 x unique with the same base item type = 5 orb of chance
- Full rare set with lowest item level between 1 and 59 = 1 orb of chance
- Full rare set with lowest item level between 1 and 59, all unidentified OR all 20% quality = 2 orb of chance
- Full rare set with lowest item level between 1 and 59, all unidentified AND all 20% quality = 3 orb of chance
Orbs of Chance are primarily applied to particular base item types in the hopes of obtaining a particular unique item. However, the resulting item is most commonly a magic item, and uncommonly a rare item. Because of this, players should carefully weigh the cost of using up Orbs of Chance to obtain a specific unique against the cost of simply trading for that unique.
Creating Unique Items with POE Currency
The chance of creating a unique item is different for every unique and depends on the rarity of that specific unique. The base item’s item level doesn’t limit the type of unique items that can be obtained, so it is possible to obtain what is otherwise map-only unique items. Unique items that don’t drop, such as The Goddess Scorned, The Taming, or race rewards like Demigod’s Presence, cannot be created using an Orb of Chance.